As we close the curtain on 2014, the case that it’s a ‘seminal’ cinematic year becomes indisputable. As I was crafting my top nee eleven films of the year and I was faced with the twelve films that didn’t make the cut, so to speak, I felt that I was doing some pretty incredible films an injustice without paying them tribute. So for those of you, who may have noticed a considerable amount of gush spent on my top films of the year, consider this a ‘B’ side. I solemnly swear that this is the last entry on GWP that’s looking backward. May the force be with 2015. In no particular order:

benedict-cumberbatch-imitation-game-03

The Imitation Game (2014)

What I said:

The Imitation Game is a story that needed to be told; the highest compliment I can give Mr. Tyldum, Mr. Cumberbatch, Mr. Moore and their collaborators is that they've honoured Alan Turing.

‘Nuff said.

la_ca_0909_skeleton_twins

The Skeleton Twins (2014)

What I said:

The Skeleton Twins is beautiful, infectious and painfully honest in a way that's normally reserved for someone that you shared a womb with.

What I’ll add:

On a really insanely busy day at work, when I knew my team need something to chuckle at I shared the lip syncing scene. Hearing the chorus of cackles and then the volley of “what movie is this from,” ensured that that taster was enough for them to seek it out. I will do you the same courtesy.

anton-corbijn-and-philip-seymour-hoffman-2014

A Most Wanted Man (2014)

What I said:

A Most Wanted Man is a mercurial puzzle; it's espionage done right from the right source material.

What I’ll add:

I totally blanked on the fact that director Anton Corbijn was also the responsible one of my favourite films of 2010, The American starring George Clooney. Go and construct your double feature ASAP. gone_girl-rosamund-pike-david-fincher

Gone Girl (2014)

What I said:

Gone Girl lives up to the hype.

What I’ll add:

David Fincher elevated pulp crime fiction into cinematic art. If you haven’t seen it I strongly recommend reading the novel first, because then you just get to sit back and settle into watching a master at work.

6331_these-final-hours-640

These Final Hours

What I said:

These Final Hours renders an abject apocalypse; and yet the last glimpses of humanity are dazzling.

What I’ll add:

There’s really no film that I’ve seen before that’s depicted THE apocalypse in such a nihilistic and confronting way.

Dawn-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes-Robert-Bruno-Caesars-Vengeance-print

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)

What I said:

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes has smarts, gorgeous innovation and pure, arresting entertainment.

What I’ll add:

Dawn is just as wonderful on repeat viewings, I saw this film three times at the theatre and in world of films that are flooded with CGI the apes franchise isn’t just setting the bar high for digital effects, it’s carrying the bar to the flimsy branches at the top of a redwood.

Tom-At-The-Farm

Tom à la ferme (Tom at the Farm)

What I said:

Tom at the Farm is a horrific evocation of what fear, responsibility and sexual allure to do to a fragile state. It's frightening, intoxicating and near perfect.

What I’ll add:

See my previous mention re: Mommy.

2J1N_photo9_copyright-christine-plenus

Two Days, One Night (2014)

What I said:

Two Days, One Night is the Dardenne Brothers great document for compassion faced with the hurdles of contemporary working class struggle. It's masterfully crafted work from a pair of maestros.

What I’ll add:

Marion Cotillard is an amazing actor, but watching her convey Sandra’s confrontational rollercoaster, walking the tightrope between rejection and triumph may go down as her greatest.

NEW-Robert-Pattinson-The-Rover-Still

The Rover (2014)

Desolation accomplished.

I think Q.T pretty much sums it up. QTRover

the-possibilities-are-endless-

The Possibilities Are Endless

What I said:

Hall and Lovelace's spectacular documentary gives the audience the slightest insight into how frightening a stroke can be and conversely how powerfully sense memory can rescue parts of who you are from the recesses of your mind.

What I’ll add:

This is the most illuminating and powerful film about the terrifying reality of strokes and the incredibly hard work and perseverance required to reroute the mind into working order.

5579250-high-the-tripThe Trip To Italy (2014)

What I said:

The Trip to Italy is just an assault of laughs, whether it’s duelling impressions, sketches or bickering. However, it’s in that vulnerable state, when your face is sore from laughter and your ears are reverberating with Michael Caine’s voice that Winterbottom torpedos you with emotional truths. The people you love should keep you grounded, tease you incessantly and dwarf your accomplishments; because they know it makes you better.

What I add:

Please gentlemen, another course soon. hammergirlfeat

The Raid 2 (2014)

What I said:

The Raid and now The Raid 2: Berandal are action cinema evolving; everything else must adapt or die.

What I’ll add:

The last time I watched The Raid 2 was with my boys, the night before my wedding and hearing the groans and awe echo through the room was priceless. Hmmm, an overdue The Raid(s) movie night methinks.

Fell_704

FELL (2014)

What I said:

Fell introduces an electrifying Australian directorial voice in Burgess and proves that the words ‘tour de force’ are going to continue to follow the names Nable and Henshall.

What I’ll add:

This is a beautiful and devastating drama about loss set with the backdrop of the Tasmanian wilderness. Keep an eye for it on VOD.

Sarah-Snook-Predestination

Predestination (2014)

What I said:

Predestination defiantly confounds and tantalises. It exudes that cult aura in one sitting.

What I’ll add:

Predestination is the most original sci-fi of the year hands down; sorry LIVE DIE REPEAT: Edge of Tomorrow.

For my Top 11 Films of 2014, go here.

Blake Howard - follow Blake on Twitter here: @blakeisbatman and listen to legacy audio reviews on That Movie Show 2UE here or on top-rating film podcast Pod Save Our Screen, available now on iTunes.

Blake Howard is a writer, a podcaster, the editor-in-chief & co-founder of Australian film blog Graffiti With Punctuation. Beginning his criticism APPRENTICESHIP as co-host of That Movie Show 2UE, Blake is now a member of the prestigious Online Film Critic Society, sways the Tomato Meter with Rotten Tomatoes approved reviews. See his articulated words and shrieks (mostly) here at Graffitiwithpunctuation.com and with DarkHorizons.com & 2SER Sydney weekly on Gaggle of Geeks.